pages

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Famous Porters - Sort Of - Jimmy Porter (Richard Burton) from 1959 film version of John Obsborne's Stage Play of 1956 Look Back In Anger - 2 quotes


Helena Charles: You know what Alison once said, you were born out of your time. I think I know what she means - sometimes I think you feel you're still in the middle of the French Revolution. Oh Jimmy, can't you give up that sweet shop and do something else?

 Jimmy Porter: Such as?

Helena Charles: I don't know, there are so many things that you could do.

Jimmy Porter: Such as being a literary gent - Porter the lion of the pen club, laughing Porter the tv panelist, Lord Porter leaving no.10. The personality of Porter - lets examine it, that glittering meteoric cause. While the rest of the world is being blown to bits around us what matters - me, me me.


Alison Porter: I suppose none of this could ever really have worked. I do love you Jimmy, I shall never love anyone as I love you, but I can't go on, I can't take part in all this suffering, I can't.

Jimmy Porter: It's no good fooling about with love you know. You can't fall into it like a soft job without dirtying up your hands. It takes muscle and guts. If you can't bear the thought of messing up your nice, tidy soul, you better give up the whole idea of life and become a saint, because you'll never make it as a human being. It's either this world... or the next.

No comments: